Drum loops...how do you do it?

Hi all,

I'm using drum loops in my live gig. I COULD just get a drum machine and
program up a bunch of patterns and use what I have with that, but sometimes
I like to drum something out on the fly.

I first started with the Roland SPD-6, which just has sounds, and midi
output. I then exchanged that for the new SPD-S sampling drum pad. It's got
cool stuff. I will let me create a loop and then resample to a wav. But it
has some dissapointing limitations:

1) I can't change the tempo of that wave, I don't think even if I resample
it again.
2) It doesnt' send MIDI clock, so I can sync a looper with it. I'm forced
record to the looper if I'm doing rythmic overdubs.

Those are the two that stick out. There may be more, but I can't think of
them now.

How would you guys approach this? I want to be able to tap out rhythms if I
want to, but I want to be able to have the midi clock output so my looper
can sync to it.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Sanders