Re: MIDI Foot controllers?

--- jimfowler <jimfowler@prodigy.net> wrote:

> "The thing I notice is that it has "presets" that apparently fire off
>midi
> commands when you enter the preset."
>
> you can thank behringer for pre-programming the fcb to work with other
> behringer gear.  a real nice touch...really makes the thing a joy to work
> with.

If you have a Behringer product to control with it... Otherwise you have
to clear
out any of their pre-programming, or it'll likely make your device do
something
weird and unexpected.

> "What I had in mind is a foot controller that I can easily program the
> switches to send the appropriat program change/control change messages to
> record enable, record, mute, etc. different tracks on the repeater. For
>my
> purposes the Behringer seems all wrong."
>
> "easily program" and "behringer" don't belong in the same sentence, as
>far
> as i'm concerned.  as well, no cc messages.

I'm not sure what you mean, Jim. Each preset can send two fixed CC msgs
with
values, in addition to setting the expression pedals to send continuous cc
values. Now, each preset can only send two CC fixed values, and the midi
channel
for each cc "slot" is globally assigned, limiting it's flexability when
controlling multiple devices, so it might not be the best for everyone's
rig. It
works great with a single repeater though.

> "What controllers would you all recommend?"
>
> i recommend the rocktron all access, but i would bet that the rocktron
> midimate would be just as easy to program, would send cc messages, and
>has a
> reliable expression pedal jack.  don't know how they would work with the
> repeater, but with the edp, the all access is a match made in heaven.

The thing for me is that the FCB has two built in expression pedals, and
as near
as I can tell, it costs less then half of it's nearest reasonable
competition. I
paid $114 for mine, brand new. Nothing else in that price range even comes
close
to the functionality this thing has, they're all unprogrammable, flimsy,
and
extremely limited.

Greg