MIDI Foot controllers?

Hi all,

Working on setting up my looper setup with the Electrix Repeather. I'm so
danged new to all of this!

I picked up a Behringer FCB1010 and was working on programming it. What a
pain.

The thing I notice is that it has "presets" that apparently fire off midi
commands when you enter the preset.

What I had in mind is a foot controller that I can easily program the
switches to send the appropriat program change/control change messages to
record enable, record, mute, etc. different tracks on the repeater. For my
purposes the Behringer seems all wrong.

Though this may be yet another perspective thing on my part. I've read
lot's
of Repeater users use the Behringer. Are they doing something different
from
me?

The Behringer appears to be set where all the buttons represent certain
types of midi messages. In other words, you can't program button 1 to do a
control change message, it's fixed at program change.

I may just be confused, but I spent the afternoon sorting through this.

Am I off base here?

What controllers would you all recommend?

Thanks,

Paul

PS: If this has been touched on, I appologize for regurgitating it, I am
just now getting in the mental space of the MIDI learning curve to thing
about this!