Re: Loop Copy (was Newbie question)

Really appreciate the GREAT info Kim.
It's gonna take me a few days to work on what you've laid out, with all the variations and all. Hmmm  . . .  I've got this national holiday  . . . .

The SwitchQuant function seems quite powerful, especially combined with Multiply or Record.

Best
SteveK
www.GelRest.com

>Now . . . . Loop Copy is not something one can easily do on the fly
>without an additional midi pedal/controller, right?  Because LC is in a
>sub-menu.

Kim wrote:

no, LoopCopy is something done on the fly. The only reason to go into the
parameter menu is to set the LoopCopy parameter, which determines how
LoopCopy happens, but doesn't execute it.

There are two primary ways to do LoopCopy. If you set the LoopCopy
parameter to Sound or Time, the copy will happen automatically anytime you
switch into an empty loop. (the switching can be done with the NextLoop
button or Midi triggers.) This way is simple and easy to use, but not so
flexible.

The second way is to take advantage of the SwitchQuant waiting period for
quantized loop switching. When you have SwitchQuant set to cycle, loop, or
confirm, you go into a waiting period after you tell the Echoplex to change
loops. It then waits for the next cycle, loop point, or confirming action
before it switches, with the screen showing the loop it is about to switch
to. During that waiting time you can set the echoplex up to do a variety of
things immediately when it goes to the new loop. Pressing Multiply then
tells it to do Sound copy. Insert tells it to do time copy. Record tells it
to start recording when it gets there. Mute, Overdub, and other such
functions turn on their usual functions in the new loop. Pressing NextLoop
lets you select which loop you jump too, so you can jump to any loop
instead of just the next one. This method gives you ultimate flexibility,
but it takes a couple button presses and is a bit more complicated. All of
it can be done with just the standard footpedal and doesn't require midi.

Sound Copy is really the same as doing a Multiply of your starting loop
into the new loop. Time copy is the same as doing an Insert into the new
loop. Just as with those functions you can overdub new material while the
copy is happening, which is very efficient for live use. Also like
Multiply/Insert, the copy continues to add new cycles until you tell it to
stop. (you stop the copy with a press of Multiply or Insert, because it
really is multiply/insert!)

So for example, a 1 bar drum loop in loop 1 can be copied to loop 2 in
real-time while you overdub an 8 bar verse section. It would all be done
seamlessly on the fly and only take two button presses, and you never have
to stop playing. (or 3 presses if you use the switchquant method.)

>   The drum machine(?) could just play and wouldn't have to be looped.

if you are using a drum sequencer for the drums, it seems to me it is much
easier to just sync it to the midi clock of the looper instead of trying to
actually record it into the loop.

kim