Re: EMU XL-7 thoughts?

On Saturday, July 5, 2003, at 09:23 AM, Mark Hamburg wrote:

> on 7/4/03 10:51 AM, Mark Sottilaro at sine@zerocrossing.net wrote:
>
>>   When I got the PlanetEarth I was pretty impressed with it's
>> sounds and thought, "if only my 307 sounded like this..."
>
> Glad you are enjoying the Planet Earth (or at least its ROM).

I am!  Thank you.  I hope the EchoPro has a nice home as well.  The
good thing about a ROMpler like this for me is that it's like having a
great sampler that I don't have to do all the work of sampling and
William Burroughs or funny lines from B movies, but I'm so over that.

> I looked repeatedly at the XL-7/MP-7 -- though generally when they
> were more expensive.

Yeah, they weren't even in my RADAR when they were $1200 or some thing.
  $499 is a bargain and a half though.  They're making a new model too
with a new sound set.  Get this:  It's gray!  What happened at E-MU?
Did their parents come home?

> When I played with them at Guitar Center, they seemed great for
> playing back existing sequences but they weren't screaming "come
> program me". It's interesting to hear that you managed to get into it
> without too big a threshold.

Yeah, some of my differences of opinion with blz is that the UI on this
baby is a little vague.   Almost all of the buttons are exactly the
same with tiny writing under them to designate their function.  With
all that colored paint flying around E-MU, I wish they put some on
their buttons to color code them.  Stop, Play and Record are all
exactly the same, butted right next to each other.

On the other hand, it's pads are the best I've ever felt on any drum
machine by far.  Nice rubber pads that are velocity sensitive with
after-touch!  When I got the Roland MC-307 home and realized that for
$799 it didn't have touch sensitive pads or even an easy way to program
in an accent, I was appalled.

> I have yet to figure out what I'm going to do for those cases where my
> rhythmic vision exceeds my rhythmic skill on the HandSonic.

I've found that my rhythmic skills on keyboard are far superior than
they ever were using a Roland drum pad.  That with the fact that only
having 6 sounds available to me at a time (what's the Hansonic?  12?)
made me abandon the drum-pad as a controller.  It looked good at a
show, but wasn't practical for me.  Actually, I find it kind of weird
that my keyboard skills seem to improve at a rate that's much higher
than my guitar skills ever did and *especially* faster than my hand
drumming skills.  I must admit that I've been doing almost all my synth
stuff via the Novation ReMote25 since I got it and my Yamaha G50 guitar
controller is getting very jealous.

Mark Sottilaro