Re: essential loop recordings

At 02:44 PM 6/25/2003, mark wrote:
>I've got to disagree with Andre's idea of what an "essential" recording
>is.  Why should it have to be technically groundbreaking in some way?
>Can't it just be really good music? (In this case really good loop music)

That seems like another fine way for something to be included on the
"essential recordings" page at LD. Sometimes the first use of a new idea
or
technique is not really a very good piece of music. For a list of
recordings that people interested in looping should really check out, it
may be much better to find some use of that idea or technique that was
also
really good music, even though it came a bit later.

I'll never forget the experience of being in computer music class in
college listening to discussions of really interesting approaches to
composition or sound design or instruments or whatever that some academic
composer had thought up, followed by truly horrible musical examples
created by that same academic. I sure don't want to repeat that here!

But part of the point of the essential recordings page is that the music
was significant or influential to looping in some way. One way could be
that it is simply good music with loops that a lot of people liked, and
therefore influenced a lot of people to get interested in looping.
Radiohead could fit there, I don't know really. Can you suggest an album
and write a paragraph reviewing how it used loops and how it made some
impact? I think we have a couple of Radiohead albums around here
someplace.
I'll have to find them and listen again, after the John Zorn skronk-a-thon
I've got on now.

We do want to avoid having the "Essential Recording" page be filled with
hundreds of albums that one person or another happened to like and that
happened to use looping somewhere. Michael and I have both had the
experience over the past few years of people emailing us suggestions like
that where the group had no obvious impact on the looping universe. We
think the bar should be a little higher for this section. We want to do
another section where loopers can put up all their favorite cds on their
own and include little reviews and such. (by the way, is somebody
interested in helping out with that? I figure there is probably some
precreated php app out there that exactly serves this purpose, maybe we
just need to hunt it down and set it up.)

kim