Re: essential loop recordings

At 10:30 AM 6/25/2003, Tim Nelson wrote:
>--- Dave Trenkel <improv@peak.org> wrote:
> > I find it interesting that no one's mentioned DT's
> > Splattercell::OAH  disc yet, to me, that's the
> >pinnacle of his work (so far).
>
>It wasn't released in the 90's, though.
>
>I love OAH (and ReMiKSiS too), but I also get the
>impression (possibly very mistaken) that the
>SPLaTTeRCeLL stuff is generally more of an in-studio
>assemblage on which, in addition to the EDP and the
>Repeater, he uses software tools which may not have
>been available at the time of dt's earlier albums. I
>guess I'm basing that on interviews I've read in which
>dt describes the samples as 'cells' of varying length
>extracted from his playing which he then proceeds to
>further manipulate through software (and more
>hardware).

That could also mean it is an example of an innovative idea that ends up
influencing a lot of people. It's probably too soon to tell though.

That's why I was suggesting we look at the 90's. We've got a few years of
perspective, and we can take in the whole decade and get some idea of what
things really mattered.

After that I figured we could take another look at the 80's, since that
decade is also pretty sparse in the "essential recordings" page.

kim