Re: Akai Heardush, (band looping, sit or stand, etc.)

I always felt like the Boss RC-20 had a little delay to its button presse,
too.  I think the amount of travel in the RC-20's pedals makes it a little
harder to hit right in time than stomping on the EDP's buttons, which were
lot easier for me to get things in time with.

I used to not think looping with other loopers was feasible without an
elaborate monitoring rig, and having the loopers synced with MIDI but after
jamming with Cara I see that it is possible.  Just try and get your loop as
in-time as possible, and then set up a button on your foot controller for
retriggering your loop.  Then you are responsible for keeping it in time
with the rest of the players.  However, if you have other players who are
russian dragons and don't listen, then it just become a lot harder.

I find it easier to hit time sensitive buttons when I am standing.  If the
music is groovy then I am bouncing along with it, and the button presses
are
just an extension of that bounce.  A wise musician told me once, "How can
you expect other people to dance to the music you're playing if you're not
dancing to it?"  That's part of your job as a performer is to lead the
people in that sort of thing.  Obviously everyone's not looking to make
people dance, but it's something to think about.

We may be able to appreciate music emitting from a sedentary body but, like
it or not, MTV has taught the world that "real" music comes from people who
are standing up with their guitars hanging down at their knees.  Sit or
stand, we've got to live with that.

-J