Re: Akai Heardush , a little frustrated, please help..

--- jimfowler <jimfowler@prodigy.net> wrote:

> you're gonna have to drill this into your drummers head because he's
>used to
> being the one who picks and maintains the tempo, but now that you're
>looping,
> YOU ARE THE METRONOME.  the drummer must follow you, not the other way
>around.
> i'm still reminding my drummer that once a loop is running, that's the
>tempo he
> has to follow.

Yes, and along this line, your drummer absolutely HAS to be able to hear
you
well. If his monitoring setup isn't allowing that, he can't track with you.

That said, you should defintely practice getting your loops started/ended
tightly. Sit down with a metronome or drum machine for awhile and practice
just
making loops. Don't get distracted with the loop content, just concentrate
on
getting the loop start and end points right. It'll make a big difference.
Rick W.
once gave me this same advice when I was complaining about getting lots of
lumpy
loops. I think he told me to sit down and create 100 loops, just
concentrating on
making them smooth. I don't know if I did exactly a hundred, but the
exercise
improved my ability to "feel" the loop points dramatically. Go for it.

Greg