Re: Akai Heardush , a little frustrated, please help..

--- jimfowler <jimfowler@prodigy.net> wrote:
> you're gonna have to drill this into your drummers
> head because he's used to being the one who picks
> and maintains the tempo, but now that you're
> looping, YOU ARE THE METRONOME.

Maybe generally, but I don't think it needs to be that
rigid. As long as the tempo is steady, I don't have a
problem with timing unsynched loops to another
musician's playing. (I have more difficulty convincing
other musicians not to do spontaneous, sudden KEY
CHANGES when there's a nice multi-looper drone going
because I can't follow it with one simple button push;
it's a recipe for a trainwreck!)

One trick that works well with the Headrush for
following another player's timing is to record a loop
of silence right on their beat. Then when you're
overdubbing onto it, the timing aspect is already
taken care of and you can focus on playing. This can
be done with other models of loopers as well; the one
Headrush-specific drawback is that you can't do the
right-button take-it-back-to-the-original-layer trick.
(Well, you CAN actually, and it does retain the
timing, but it's silent! That can work well for
dramatic changes; it's what I did on 'Hip Check',
track 54 at
<http://www.music.columbia.edu/%7Ececenter/mhl21/ct/ct_75/ct_75.html>.
That's not a punch-in. The original title was "Jimmy
Page Runs Up and Hip-checks Robert Fripp Off His
Little Stool"...)

-t-