Re: guitar synthesizers

On Saturday, June 14, 2003, at 02:43  AM, Mark Sottilaro wrote:
> One word of advise, when looking for a synth, try and find one that
> will allow a 24 + or - pitch bend range for the best results.  My
> Roland XV-5050 does this, but my Korg MS2000R does not.

my friend Jim (an Axon owner) is convinced the coolest synth for guitar
use is the Korg Z1. it can do a multi with 6 parts, does +/-24 steps
bend, and has VA/FM/physical modelling sounds.

unfortunately it doesn't fit in a rack. it's quite the bummer ... i
could use a whole rack of Z1s. not for guitar synth, though ... that's
what my GR-300 is for :). too bad none of the guitarists i play with
like my 300. it has this really shitty strat body with a japistrat neck
and a humbucker in the middle position. the LFO depth doesn't work, and
it doesn't seem as bright as the 300 should sound ... like the filter
cutoff stops at 8k or something. the handles are also missing from the
top of the floor unit. it's pretty ghetto.

also, my favourite current guitar synth is the Boss Wave Processor
pedal. it's about 200-250 bucks, it's small, it tracks well (it's more
like a miniVG than a GR), and has the cool sawtooth wave. if i were i
guitarist (and i didn't have a 300) i'd probably have one of those and
use it as a sound source with a modular synth. it's also got a cool
fake sitar mode which sounds pretty cool.

although, when i was trying it out at the music store, some weird drunk
dude with a mullet came up to me and said "why'd you want that!?!? it
don't have HORNS!!" and i said "what do i need horns in a guitar synth
for? i want a guitar SYNTH," to which he replied "so you don't have to
HIRE them!!! horns are expensive!!!"
---
Eric Williamson
www.suitandtieguy.com