Re: echoplex, loop IV, PMC10, questions

  Terry, nice to have you with us.  I'll respond below, K?   If you'd like,
you  can hear a bit of what I'm currently doing with the plex by visiting
my website at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~thefates

  -and listening to  an improv piece called Naked Blues, on the music page.
 Have a great evening...

Smiles,

Cara

At 10:03 PM 6/9/03 -0700, you wrote:
>1. What is the best kind of pedal to use with the
>PMC10 to control the feedback function, and the volume
>function in the echoplex.
>
>2. The echoplex works differently depending on how you
>have the preset set up. What preset or presets do each
>of you use? How do you personally set these functions?
>
>record mode

I commonly use sus record, but also sometimes record directly into a loop
location via midi.

>overdub mode

Usually use this mode normally, but occasionally use sus overdub.

>round mode

This varies since I'm playing the EDP via midi.

>insert mode

This also varies alot.   I tend to use alot of sus replace, sus insert,
stutter, reverse, and sus togglespeed  all via midi.

>mute mode

I rarely use this, but when I do, it's in a very basic sense.
>over flow
>
>loop/delay

I always have it set to loop.

>quantize

I rarely use quantization, but when I do, it is set to eighth, with values
of 32 or 64.
>8ths/cycle

see above.

>sync
>threshold
>reverse

I  mostly use it as a toggled setting, but occasionally use it as a sus
setting.

>start point

I have this set up via midi to be reset and/or triggered on the fly.

>more loops

I currently tend to work with three loops, but may also go up to four.

>auto record

on

>loop copy

off

>switch quant

mostly off  (see below)

>looping #
>velocity
>sampler style

start

1

>control source
>source
>vol control
 output is at max for my set-up.

>feedback control

max

>I know that all of these setting are personal
>preferences, but that is what I am asking. How do each
>of you prefer to set up these parameters in your
>echoplex?
>
>4. Also do you set up one preset with all of you
>favourite settings or do you set up sereral with
>different settings and switch between them.

I set up several.

>5. If you set up several presets, why.

<smile>  -because I'm so damned picky and want EVERYTHING!!! lol!   so, to
have that, I need to set up a bunch of presets I can switch between to
enable all of the functions I want when I want them...

 How do you set
>each of them up?

Well, I've gone into it a little bit above, but in essence, I have a couple
of presets with different eighth values, a preset with stutter mode
enabled, One without, and another one with a different switch quant
setting, so I'll be able to selectively copy loops on the fly.

>6. Can you use the regular echoplex pedal and the
>PMC10 at the same time?
>
>7. Can you use two PMC10's at the same time to control
>one echoplex?
>
>8. How do you prefer to set up your echoplex when
>using with a drum machine? In what order and using
>which sync settings?

I prefer to have the plex receive  clock from the drum machine,  and simply
use the drum machine as a sync source, but use the plex completely by
itself for the most part at the moment.

>9. Do you always set up your programs in the PMC10
>starting with a program change so you can access the
>preset you want in the echoplex?
>
>10. Do you prefer to have more loops set up to auto
>record when you inter them, or not, and why?

I like to play and record new material seamlessly, without pressing
record.

>11. How many different banks do you use on your midi
>controller to access echoplex functions.

I currently use four banks and have an FCB-1010.

>12. What are you favourite echoplex functions and why?
SUS UNROUNDED MULTIPLY!!!  -sus replace, sus record, and sus unrounded
insert.  I really love the sus unrounded multiply function a whole lot,
simply because it allows me to dynamically alter loop length, as well as
overdub simultaneously.  So, to me it gives the EDP a very organic and
musical feel.  I also really enjoy glitching out loops and creating rhythms
using the sus replace function.  I not only use sus record as my main
method of recording loops,  but will also create realtime stutter effects
using it while playing a line.  I use sus unrounded insert mostly to create
very strange granular loops after an unrounded multiply, or sus record.

>13. How many loops do you set your echoplex up to be
>able to do and why?

As I mentioned above, I have mine set to three at the moment, but also
sometimes go with four.   I like to have at least three, to allow for a
song  structure, with an A part, B part, and C part.

>14. Who are your favourite loopers and why?

Andre LaFosse, -because he's cute, cuddly, a wonderful human being, and a
totally bitchin'  MOFO! on the plex!   <smile>
David Torn, because he plays beautiful loops and he likes caffeine alot,
and so do I...
Amy X, as she's a super intense performer, and perfectly and flawlessly
executes her craft and is a  very nice person.
Rick Walker and Steve Lawson, -Rick is a hellaciously good drummer, and
Steve a phenominal bassist.  -and they're both total Sweethearts...
I also like What I've heard of Tom Heisley's work.   I hope I've at least
come close to the right spelling of his name!   lol!

Anyway, these are only a few very talented people.   I could go on...
-Hope this makes some sense and helps give you an idea of how I work with
the plex.   Have a great evening...

Smiles,

Cara

---

-Then, anything is possible..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~thefates

Please visit BadFiction and The Guitar Cafe.