[Fwd: Matthew Sperry RIP]

I didn't know Matthew, but apparently he was a friend of a lot of mine
in the Bay Area, perhaps he was a member of this community, too?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Matthew Sperry RIP
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 10:29:14 -0700
From: modisti mail-list:      Philip Gelb <phil@philipgelb.com>
To: phil@philipgelb.com

I usually send out announcements of my concerts and of the meridian
music series concerts to this list. I am very saddened to have to
send this announcement.

Those who know me personally, know that Matthew Sperry was a very
close friend for many years as well as a bass player i often worked
with.
In 1990, i attended graduate school at the Florida State University
School of Music. Shortly after arriving i was looking for a place to
live and someone introduced me to Matt who was a junior at the music
school, studying bass. I ended up moving into his apartment and for 2
years we were roommates. A close friendship began that we knew would
last a lifetime but i had no idea that would be cut short by
yesterdays tragedy when he was hit by a truck while riding his
bicycle to work in Oakland.
I introduced Matt to new and avant garde music and he joined the New
World Ensemble, a new music group that i was directing at the music
school. While in this ensemble, Matt had a chance to play with the
great composer, Leo Smith before moving to Seattle. This performance
obviously influenced his direction that he took his music in. I
remember asking him why he was moving to Seattle as neither he nor i
had ever been there before. His reply, with his usual smile and great
attitude was "Seattle is very far from Florida (a place he grew up
and wanted to get far away from". So shortly after graduating, he
packed his car and went far across the country.  We remained in close
contact and when i first went out west, we played some trio concerts
with violist Christian Asplund and other trios with percussionist
Gino Robair. Eventually i moved to California I would make semi
regular trips to Seattle and always crashed in his living room,
sharing many wonderful meals together as we both loved to eat and
cook. And always playing music together. Matt helped me to become an
invited soloist with the Seattle Creative Orchestra, a group he
helped to start. And he would come and visit the Bay area and perform
with me, Dana Reason, Pauline Oliveros and numerous others. I was
elated when Matt and his fiance, Stacia decided to move to California
as well. We were back in the same town together and playing music
regularly and spending a lot of time together. Both our music careers
were moving along well and we were often either on stage together or
one of us was on stage while the other one was in the audience
enjoying themselves immensely. Stacia and Matt finally were married
and i was asked to be in the wedding band to help them celebrate.
The birth of their beautiful daughter, Leila, a little over 2 years
ago brought tears to my eyes and i remember coming to their home the
following day and seeing the most blissed out expression on Matt's
face. From then on, he was a very dedicated father who loved his
daughter immensely. I always thought Leila was very fortunate to have
a dad who was so kind and so much fun and so open.
Leila also seems to have a severe fascination with the sound of the
shakuhachi and would be transfixed as soon as i let out one note. I
will never forget, 2 years ago, at a concert i had with Pauline
Oliveros and Dana Reason, i began the concert with a solo piece,
playing an old Jewish melody, "Baym Rebbe Sude". As soon as i played
the first note, i heard the sound of Leila in the audience, let out a
happy yelp. Right after the concert, Matt came up to me and said,
"since when are you playing Jewish music on shakuhachi"?. That
question began a new duet project of us playing old Jewish tunes.
Unfortunately we never did get to record this project. We did release
one CD together a few years back which is now sadly out of print, a
4tet with Carla Kihlstedt and John Shiurba.

Last year, Matt played a key role in the big Pauline Oliveros 70th
birthday party that i was part of the organizing committee by playing
in the orchestra as well as putting together a performance of her
piece, "Double Basses at 20 paces"

The last several months we have not seen much of each other. We
traded many phone calls and emails talking about what each were
doing.  He became very busy playing in the Hedwig stage show as well
as being a very devoted dad and husband and I was on tour alot. In
January, we gave what is our last performance and recording together.
Christian Asplund, now a professor of music at BYU was out here and
wrote some new trio pieces for viola, shakuhachi and bass and we
recorded them and performed them in Berkeley.

Matt and i planned to meet next week and maybe have dinner together
at Chaya, one of our favorite places to eat.

Yesterday afternoon i received the devastating phone call about his
accident.

Some of Matthew's friends have organized a web page where we can
share our thoughts and feelings on this tragedy. Check it out at:
<http://birdhouse.org/blog/archives/000884.php>http://birdhouse.org/blog/archives/000884.php

--
Philip Gelb
Bay Area Shakuhachi School