the function of some music

Apart from styles and genre there seem to be the function of the music:

ambient / dance / concentration / propoganda / soundtrack / education
/ support for lyrics / ...

for the user, its probably more important what music is made for than
what style it uses. Thats why a CD shop rather uses functional than
stylistic bins.
So maybe "genre" is as unprecise as the shop bin: a style or a
function, whatever serves better.

Some music is not made with an aim, but when its distributed, the aim
usually is defined.

The user may be used to judge himself which style has which function,
but thats where most of the confusion is hidden! Most styles can be
interpreted for different aims but the public opinion inhibits that
to some degree with preconceptions

The label Live Looping certainly does not define such a function, but
thats what some of us seem to be afraid of.

Anyway, "ambient" seems to be a function and not a style or a genre
and it may be the biggest market!

Incredible also how we abuse. For example I see a lot of people
listen to dancing music without dancing, so its missused as ambient,
no?
Not a real problem, but a pity since the musician could work more
precisely if he knew where the music is going to end up. Just compare
to other market segments like clothes for example.

As long we do not know the definition of "genre", how can we know
whether Live Looping is one?

Dont try to get it precise, its just language :-)

--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org