Re: Let's cause a scene! (scroll down for survey question)

On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 11:38  AM, Tim Nelson wrote:

>> I think the internet is good at augmenting social
>> groups, but not a replacement or alternative to them.
>
> No, I don't think it replaces them either, but it can
> sure be instrumental in strengthening them,
> particularly when it comes to bringing together people
> with non-mainstream interests from a wider
> geographical area than would otherwise be the case.

Exactly, I think we totally agree on this "fact" (I used to have a
friend who'd say "the difference between your opinion and my opinion is
that mine is based on fact!")

I also think as things progress human interaction via computers will
come closer to physical proximity, similar to the way a phone
conversation can add another level of communication with vocal
inflections.

> How many people have as a result of being on the
> Looper's Delight mailing list have:
> 1) Gotten gigs you wouldn't otherwise have gotten?

One that I can remember.

> 2) Travelled to and/or performed at an event
> planned/described on-list?    (eg. Loopstock, one of
> Rick Walker's events, etc.)

Yes, I've found out about a bunch of these here.

> 3) Socialized and/or collaborated with other
> listmembers?

I have, but not all that frequently.  Under 5 times since I joined this
list in 1994.  Local word of mouth has worked way better.

> 4) Influenced musicians you already knew to become
> listmembers or take up looping?

I gave out the LD site address to everyone who inquired about my
Repeater that I sold recently.  Not sure if any have joined because of
me.

> 5) Met your significant other?

If you were a woman trolling for music geeks, this would be the place!

> In my case, I'm five for five; I'd say LD's been a
> pretty significant part of my concept of 'community'.

No one here would deny that it's not a good tool for communication, but
I think our community could use a bit of time out of the Matrix.

Just my thoughts...

Mark Sottilaro