Re: Scratch Looper

Mark,

I know better than to try to change your mind, but Ms. Pinky is
DOPE.  Scott Wardle, the inventor, brought it down one weekend, and I got
to play with it for a while.  We actually recorded two or three hours'
worth of jams of Ms. Pinky vs. armatronix, which may surface at some point.

The problem with the CDJ is the interface, which doesn't do a very good
job
of emulating the feel of real vinyl.  If you don't know or care about the
difference, I guess the CDJ is more convenient to haul around and a little
bit cheaper, but Ms. Pinky is very cool for somebody who wants the feel of
real vinyl.  I guess it's kind of like the difference between weighted and
unweighted keys on a keyboard - it's a tactile thing.

Since Ms. Pinky is essentially a controller for Max/MSP/Jitter, it seems
like you could build yourself a module to accept live input into a buffer,
and then control the buffer output with Ms. Pinky.  Scott already has a
looper built into it, and a bunch of effects.  I'm no expert turntablist,
but Scott's vinyl emulator sounds pretty good to me.  He could probably
add
pseudo-random pops and surface noise, if you wanted (if he hasn't already
-
that guy's a friggin' genius).

I'd say that you'd get WAY more value out of Ms. Pinky bundled with Max,
MSP, and Jitter, than you would out of a CDJ-1000.  The CDJ plays CDs and
allows you scratching and limited looping and effects.  Ms. Pinky will
give
you all that and anything else you can dream up - no more excuses.  I
didn't even realize that you could control video with it, too (via Jitter)
- that opens up a whole realm of possibilities.

BTW, the Ms. Pinky record is a pretty good scratch record as-is, without
all of that computer mumbo-jumbo ;)

-Hans