Re: Dig if u will my research paper Chapter 3

Title: Re: Dig if u will my research paper Chapter 3
At 1:29 PM +0100 5/28/03, Geoff Smith wrote:
Morton Subotnick who said ...Vladimir Ussachevsky was using all sorts of time lag....

Otto Luening was using tape delay for echo effects is such pieces as "Fantasy in Space." According to Paul Lehrman the Columbia Princeton studio had tape guides mounted in many locations, to support tape loops.

Mauricio Kagel had a work for percussion where the material the musicians played was recorded and brought back later in the composition..etc..

Mort was probably referring to "Transitions II."

Unfortunately Morton was too busy to say anything further to me, maybe you might be able to extract something out of him Richard?

I see Mort from time to time (he teaches at CalArts, not far from here). However, Ramon is probably a more reliable source for Tape Center trivia.

Terry Riley is so care free about his work that he hasn't documented what happened and when accurately because I don't think it matters to him.

This seems an accurate portrayal.

A few years ago I helped out with the 25th anniversary performance of "In C" in San Francisco. Many of the original performers participated (Terry and three others sang). Drummer George Marsh performed on trap set, without the requirement of following the score. Some of us thought this was inappropriate and that it messed up the music, but Terry was delighted. He had a singular lack of reverence for his own "masterpiece."

Where as Pauline Oliveros likes the ideas of self promotion more......

Yes. She has done a remarkable job of carving out a career in the male-dominated music scene (remembering that she is now past 70!). This necessitates a lot of image building. However, PO is one of the first to assert the importance of collective activity. On the first day of music technology class at UCSD she wrote on the board: "Technology is a tribal matter."

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com