Re: Andre Lafosse Freebies and sales...

  Mark, as  a teacher, this is an interesting  argument, -I don't think
it's necessary to separate the idea of music with compensation.   -In other
words, to say that because one may think about money, they must not be
thinking about music or vice versa.
  -Hopefully I'm reading you right.  Anyway, I play and I teach, and I very
much expect some compensation for my time and efforts, and am completely OK
in doing so.  -By this, I mean, I may not always get it, but I'd hope
people around me would feel that what I'm doing is worth while enough for
it.   -and not because I feel that that's how I should be repaid so to
speak, but because it's just a simple fact that people demand money from me
in the world we live in, and I provide something.   So I feel that I should
be repaid for it.  -otherwise, I'll starve!   lol!
   -and then I won't be doing anybody much good, now will I?!   lol!
Anyway,  I've learned and practiced and such, for a while, and am OK
hopefully at what I do.  So, with this in mind, I don't feel there's
anything wrong with asking for something in return.
  Now, re: the music itself, when I play, or try to teach someone
something, I'm not thinking of the money at all.  I'm totally and
completely focused on the idea at hand, and doing well by the music, -my
student, -myself.  -the idea itself...  I try to deal with the payment
issue before or after.   -just my thoughts, -thought I might chime in...
-Have an awesome weekend!, K?

Smiles,

Cara

At 01:49 PM 5/22/03 -0700, you wrote:
>I may be half the guitarist, but I gladly trade that for the ability to
>make music with no expectation of compensation at all.  I couldn't do a
>wedding band thing.  Music is too precious to me.  Instead, I now do
>media design.  Total sell out, but they don't touch my music.
>
>Good luck Andre.  I want to believe you'll succeed.  In a way, you
>have.  On the fringe your either 1) a hack or 2) too advanced to be
>understood my most.  Either way, it sucks, but I think we can all agree
>that you're not a hack.
>
>Mark Sottilaro
>
>On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 12:25  AM, ernesto schnack wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 21 May 2003 23:11:22 -0700, Andre LaFosse
>> <altruist@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>> Now, that's a better fate than assembling Nike shoes for $2.00 an
>>> hour,
>>> or crawling out of rubble in Baghdad right now.  But when I think
>>> about
>>> all the traffic going through my site, and how little of an impact it
>>> has on my actual day-to-day existence, it makes me wonder how much
>>> time
>>> I may have wasted by focusing so intensely on the EDP, as opposed to
>>> more bread-and-butter things that might actually lead to my generating
>>> some income from the music-related skills I've been cultivating for
>>> about 25 years.

---

-Then, anything is possible..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~thefates

Please visit BadFiction and The Guitar Cafe.