Re: Laptop Looping questions

On Friday, May 23, 2003, at 03:53 PM, Kevin Goldsmith wrote:
> I'm getting tired of keeping my old gear working.  I'm going software
> baby!

Here's something to take into consideration.  I purchased a really cool
set of plug ins known as the Nautilus Bundle.  Really interesting stuff,
with a great real time granular synthesizer.  When MOTU announced that
they were coming out with a Digital Performer for OSX, I wrote to Audio
Ease and asked if they were going to release a version for OSX.  They
said they "had a version running" in their office, but were not ready to
release it yet.  Almost a year later I wrote to see if they were close
and got a cryptic "We have no plans to release the plug ins any time
soon."  I have a feeling I'll never see that upgrade.

So, if I would have spent the $300 on hardware, I'd have a working
version of it right now, instead of a $300 coaster.  I had no choice but
to upgrade my computer and operating system, as I have to keep up with
my clients and the software they use.  They also expect me to work at a
speed that modern computers work.  So, I could reboot in OS9 to use my
old software, but that's a pain in the ass, and I probably won't
bother.  I'm lucky to have purchased a computer that still boots in OS9,
as the new ones do not.

So that's the problem with software.  Be careful, is my opinion.  I've
gotten used to using software packages that just die.  Metro.  Great
software.  Now gone.  Same thing happens with hardware, but at least if
the company goes out of business (Hi Electrix!) at least you have the
gear.   Of course hardware becomes impossible to get repaired, but it
seems to last a hell of a lot longer than software seems to these days!

As I say all this, I'm about to down load the demo of the '42 and do
some software based looping!  Weeee!

Mark Sottilaro