Re: Live Loop composing

Stu -

I know what you mean about having motifs and some fallback ideas for those
"what will I do now moments."   Ironically, recordings of my performances
have uncovered the music I make while I'm totally baffled, confused and
feeling absolutely uninspired often is the better stuff.  The feeling I
have
about a performance while I'm onstage is only one impression, and not
always
a reliable one.

I still prepare for shows with a few ideas in mind, but less so. But they
become more conceptual and along the lines of Eno's "Oblique Strategies."
I've come to trust, and strangely look forward to, the music I create when
feel lost confused and baffled about what I'm doing -- because that's when
end up in new places I would not have normally brought myself to. And
that's
refreshing to me.

The trick for me is to "get out of my own way" which generally has to do
with "letting go" not being so "directed" in what I do.  Hence the name for
my improv / ambient musical project: UNDO.

Incidentally, getting stoned usually fucks up my performances.  I seem to
do
better getting confused and baffled with a "clear" head, instead of being
confused and baffled while I'm woolly-headed.  Maybe I need to feel the
adrenalin of fear.  :-)

David Kirkdorffer
UNDO