Re: Live Loop composing

On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 11:03  am, Louie Angulo wrote:

> do you go with preconceived musical ideas before
> you do a gig or do you start improvising with
> preconcieved techniques?

For me, I have a series of 'hooks' that can get me into the mood when
playing live. These are pre-conceived ideas/melodies that are the
founding ingredients for an impro piece. However, none of these hooks
are ever played the same twice. The problem with total improv is
sometimes my head just does not work, and it is hard to gain
inspiration. This is especially hard when you have a bad sound, noisy
unappreciative audience or simply are having bad day....

Its similar to playing modern jazz, whereby you have a melody to base
the improvisations off of.

If I am comfortable, suitably stoned (alas, I play better when I am in
this state) and am in good surroundings, then I can perform entire
concerts completely improvised.... but I can normally only do this at
home or at parties....

- Stu