Re: on-stage personal monitoring...loop-related, i assure you

My roommate plays loopy things in his band Crater. I've seen him sends a
mix
of necessary sounds to a small personal monitor speaker, on a stand that
points directly at the drummer's head.

I do this with my band too. We have a looping violinist and cellist. The
last show, both of us sent a line from the back of our amps to a single,
mulit-input powered speaker for the drummer. We've talked about getting him
one of those little mini mixers, so that he could have more direct control
over our levels.

For myself, I tried using different kinds of headphones and had a few
problems. 1) I tend to put my ear over the cello strings when playing and I
keep bonking the headphones on the finger board 2) I feel kinda removed
physically from the audience and 3) sometime my hair/headdress is elaborate
and getting the headphones on and off is complicated! i had one funny
moment
when they got all tangled up in my dreadlocks and dangled off the side of
my
head for the remainder of the song. I should still try a discreet "bud" in
one ear maybe. Won't mess up my costume!