Re: brotherhood of the bass/base

At 11:27 AM -0400 5/2/03, Paulzric@aol.com wrote:
>I've been a guitarist forever and I just don't think like a bass player.

Something I forgot to mention from my own experience:  I did a lot of
choral singing at one point, as a member of the bass section. This
also helped train my listening and harmonic concept. It also helped
that this was during my college music studies, when I was also
studying harmony and counterpoint. Later during this period (and
concurrent with my punk bass stint) I was part of a West African
percussion ensemble and had another look at and listen to the way the
"big sounds" support the "little sounds."

I've also grown to think of equivalences between rock and classical
instrumental function. Violins are like lead guitars. Violas are like
rhythm guitars. Cellos and basses are like...you get the idea.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com