Re: EDP problem

Hi Ric,

Thanks for filling me in.  I agree, the symptoms you describe certainly
don't sound like operator error.

> 1) loud, screeching white noise at various times
> 2) unit looking like it's in record but not recording (but not
> consistently)
> 3) unit refusing to go into record at all (with and w/o pedals attached)
> 4) unit refusing to go into overdub, even though all indicators say
> that it is...
> 5) no sound at all even though the little green light shows signal..

These are some things I would personally try, based on my own experience
and occasional technical snafus.  I'm not trying to disprove anything
you've mentioned... simply trying to offer some ideas that might be
helpful.

1) Clean the EPROM pins, memory contacts, sockets for both, and rear
panel jacks.  These sorts of things can get dirty over time, especially
if your stuff is on the road a lot.  It's the same principle as changing
strings, batteries, and parts in a guitar on a fairly regular basis.

2) Make sure the "thermal mod" has been performed (this should be
standard on units newer than '97 or so, but it would certainly be an
explanation if it hasn't been done yet.)

3) Try alternate controllers for functions.  For instance, if record or
overdub are erratic with the front panel footswitch, see if using the
front panel buttons itself, or MIDI control, is more effective or
consistent.

> the unit still
> does all of the above except the white noise.

Have you tried using various different controllers for functions, to see
if it's a question of unreliable footpedal buttons or some such?

> i actually still do take it on the road, but i have
> the repeater there in case it isn't in the mood to cooperate.

And of course the Repeater itself can be a very odd bird, behavior-wise.
 For that matter, I believe both Steve Lawson and Stuart Wyatt have lost
DL4s due to their wearing out...

Ric, I don't blame you for being frustrated.  My inclination would be to
keep hammering away at problems like this until I had found a definite
answer, but I can understand if you don't have the time or the
inclination to pursue them further than you already have.

Hopefully some other folks can offer additional insight here that would
be useful...

Best wishes,

--Andre LaFosse
http://www.altruistmusic.com