Re: "Dragging Instruments Around"

"Do people who don't play an instrument give a damn about how difficult
something is to play or are they just getting off on the music?"

i'll use my mother as an example: she knows absolutely nothing about music
or musicianship.  she really likes elton john.  if she were brave, she
might
go to a concert of his.  if he got up on stage and popped the card into the
digital piano, and just tossed in a few extra notes here and there, she
would probably not like it.  now i don't know about difficutly having
anything to do with it, but i think even the most musically-retarded people
still go out for performances (whether it's country joe and the fish or joe
satriani), under which i do not consider laptopica to belong.

"I personally dislike a lot of jazz because it seems to be musical
masturbation or music as a sport - not as an art."

when jazz is done right, it's art.  when it's done wrong, it's the worst.
however, legit jazz (and classical) both have a very high talent bar...sort
of a no-hacks allowed rule.

-jim

-jim