RE: "Dragging Instruments Around"

> Hehe, I agree but is going to see a DJ just like watching a guy play his
> record collection?

sometimes, sometimes not.  you have to go see djs often to appreciate the
subtleties.  some people play their records, some people do some genuinely
creative stuff.  unfortunately most fall into the first camp.

> Do people who don't play an instrument give a damn about how difficult
> something is to play or are they just getting off on the music?
>  I personally dislike a lot of jazz because it seems to be musical
> masturbation or music as a sport - not as an art.

sounds like you haven't seen good jazz, or perhaps haven't developed a
taste
for it.

jazz is, imho, in a very weird state right now... having moved into the
world of 'classic' music, it's now a museum exhibit as well as an
underground art form.  lots of players learn in the museum school and just
execute... some approach it is as their means of expression... these guys
are the ones to watch.  the difference is night and day.  and the good
stuff
ain't that easy to find.