Re: Raison d'etre

In a message dated 3/17/2003 3:02:28 PM Eastern Standard Time, ArsOcarina
writes:

> "Why the heck do we do what we do?"

For the chicks.

And because it's hard to meditate and "do" nothing all day and/or night
long. The heart beats, the lungs breathe, the drama plays on. Each human
body houses incredible amounts of energy. Each brain seethes with
activity. It's hard not to do anything in this condition. A writer once
stated "if you love music, you stand a chance" (horribly slaughtered,
source unknown, my apologies, if someone knows where this came from...).
So music seems a worthy enough creation. We borrow and mimic. Some mimic
the sex drive (power chords, thumping kicks). Others anger, frustration
(same), mystery (avante-garde), the world-is-kicking-my-ass syndrome (lots
of lyrics/tones about that). Some indulge in self-pity, others lash out.
The Art of Noise observed that every act of creation will be regarded by
someone as a personal attack. Everything is an attack. This email is
pissing someone off. Your email pissed someone off. Someone is rolling
their eyes, thinking "get a life" because of some reason or another:
possibly because you beat them to the expression of these abstract an
sensitive areas, or possibly because they don't care to feel anything
because they didn't get a chance to say "no" when they were two years old.
"No" is the most readily available knee-jerk answer out there. Coupled
with the most frequently used word in the English language "I," is there
any doubt "why" there's drama after drama of senseless nothing? As the old
man in Waking Life regards human evolution as an endless procession (or
addition) of zeros, and that the distance between an average human and a
chimpanzee is less than the distance between an average human and the
Platos and Neitzsches of the world. The super-chimpanzee dominates planet
earth. So why stay there with the squawking chimp? Why not strive to mimic
that greater consciousness that is all around us? We embody a simulacrum
of it--via our biology and chemistry and electricity--why not shoot for
more. Yes, sleep is very important. So is eating right and exercising and
all that. Why? To keep the ves
sel floating. Why? Because the rippling skin of the ocean is only the
surface. What lies beneath and above and all around is the real magic.
Music that mimics that...well, fuck, there's nothing better, at least for
us humans. Even attempting to mimic it puts us into closer communion than
not. And mimicry is the key to beginning to understand. Because notes,
like language, these and any words you understand, weren't invented by you
or me. Not entirely, anyway. They're completely borrowed, beggared,
stolen. Why? Because we're lazy? I think not. I suppose each of us could
sit around and invent our own language, but what kind of mess would that
be? What good is a language that no one can understand?

Sleep well. Have lots of juicy nightmares and wet dreams. The old hag
isn't finished. Thank God.

I'm not finished. I can't. Death will overtake me far sooner than
finishing. The key, I suspect, is feeling at peace with the strides made.
Peace and pride. Peace is often regarded as weak. Peace gets a bad rap.
Peace needs a newer connotation. I think of the scene with Gandalf as
prisoner on top of Sauraman's keep: when he captures the moth gently but
completely within his hand. Even with all the orcs and forged steel and
burning, scorching, angry smashing, killing intent, the smallest of a
perfectly crafted fluttering moth changes everything. Peace is a nutrino.
Peace is a wave of cosmic debris that is going to vibrate through the
minds of all the superchimps and meld them closer to the greater mind or
else wipe them off the ass of the earth (where they tend to congregate)
See...I'm sure I've offended someone. Can't be helped. Liars beware.
Brain-dead, AWAKE! Ring the alarm bell. Murderers and rapists and theives
who steal from the elderly, the cleansing... it's gonna hurt. Get out and
love the earth with all your being. Every day. Loop them with that.

That's half a single reason to exist, if that.
Adieu.