Re: [looper's] RE: Echoplex sighting

At 06:05 AM 3/14/2003, goddard.duncan@mtvne.com wrote:
> >>I've often been surprised that more DJ's don't loop, I know there have
> been a few on this list, but it seems pretty rare. The DJ I work with is
> just getting started with it himself.<<
>
>baffling, isn't it? dj's use some crazy stuff- special mixing desks with
>tiny samplers built in, but I've never seen or heard of a dj who bought,
>say, a repeater. maybe electrix didn't do the right sort of promotion,
>but
>you'd think a dedicated bpm-able looping device /with rca sockets and an
>riaa pre-amp onboard/, for heaven's sake....

huh? that's exactly who Electrix designed the repeater for and marketed it
to! I think they were more surprised than anybody that non-dj/dance
producers were even interested in it. Richie Hawtin was one of their
biggest endorsers for it!

Their whole product line was targeted that way. They even discussed this
when IVL closed up Electrix, how they had thought the DJ/dance market was
the next big thing for audio gear, but it didn't do nearly as well as they
expected. So they went into karaoke instead.

btw, there have been dj mixers with loop samplers built into them for
years. There are some now with the kaoss pads built into them as well. The
CD based dj stuff has more features for setting loop points on the fly and
such. However, when I talked to some of the manufacturers about adding
more
sophisticated features, I got a funny reaction that was very similar to
the
reaction from guitar companies: "dj's are too dumb to understand these
things". haha, maybe dj's and guitarists have more in common than they
want
to believe.

kim