Re: OT: surround

--- David Myers <dmgraph@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way to expand stereo tracks
> into surround without reworking them track by track

Hmmm, that's a tough one. You could possibly extend a
technique they used to use in the 60's and early 70's
to stereo-ize a mono source (why is Jeff Beck's
'Guitar Shop' album playing in my head?) that entails
running the signal through both sides of a stereo
graphic EQ that has as many bands as possible.
Alternating frequency bands are set on the two
channels; for example, the left side might use the odd
bands and the right side the even. The full audio
spectrum would be expanded from one channel to two
based on frequency content.

(One thing about this technique that sounded sort of
phony for regular pop music that might work rather
well for ambient/electronic stuff is the fact that
glissandi of certain narrower-band waveforms will pan
around as they pass through the respective frequency
bands!)

For surround, possibly *two* such EQs could be used,
so your two channels become four... I'm not sure what
you'd do about the fifth channel. (Maybe some sort of
phase cancellation trick like the one described in the
liner notes of Eno's "On Land"
<http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/brian_eno/onland-txt.html>;
I've used this technique with multitrack bouncing
(rather than with speakers as described) to enable
certain sounds to 'sit' better in a mix, but have
never tried both techniques together, so I don't know
how it'd work.

Of course, after splitting up the signal, you'd need
to re-master, and this is a *four hour* piece, you
say?

Robert Rich ran into certain technical issues when he
recorded 'Somnium' as a 7-hour audio DVD
<http://www.robertrich.com/rrsomnium.html>; he may be
able to provide some tips/advice...
<http://www.robertrich.com/contact.html>

-t-