Re: Tubes! They do a ____ good!

On Sun, 2003-03-09 at 03:49, Kirkland Mack wrote:

> It is absolutely RIDICULOUS that TB preamps are not commonplace. Does
>anyone know of a tube power amp around 10-30 watts that has very pleasing
>tone when cranked?

I have a pair of Trace-Elliot Velocette amps. They're 15 watt tube amps
with a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker in a very portable form. Not hard to
find for $200 or so on Ebay and the like. I was playing in stereo with
two of them, but my current rig is mono and one is just fine. Loud
enough to play with a reasonable drummer (not some metal-pounding thug),
and the tone is marvelous. The clean sound peaks out about halfway up in
volume - turn the volume up after that and it just gets more distorted,
rather than louder (and if you get one, put it on a stand! They don't
like sitting on the floor).

Anyway, i love these amps. They're very portable and sound great, all
the good parts of tubes. Of course, they do distort, and an open-backed
10" speaker won't have the deep bottom of a Marshall stack, but. (and
they do have a 16 ohm speaker out jack...)
--

-dave

"...'cause she knows that it's demanding to defeat those evil
machines..."
 -The Flaming Lips, _Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots pt. 1_