Re: slightly ot: the quest for a groovebox

> How would the RM1x be for a live looping sequencer driving some other
> equipment for the actual sounds? I want to build and tweak patterns on
>the
> fly, pull up patterns with a single button push, play multiple patterns
>or
> phrases at once with appropriate multiple button pushes, etc.. In
> particular, if I build a pattern, I'd like to be able to save it without
> lot of hassle and without stopping the sequencer.

- I haven't got my Rm1x yet, but many people are using it to sequence other
synths. It's what I intend to do.
- From my experience, the RM1x doesn't do live sequencing - i.e. recording
while performing. Don't even bother - you keep having to stop the
sequencer.
- The emu box is the only one with a 'revert to saved' - the closest thing
to a live undo in any groovebox. It's also essential if you use your box
for
looping, i.e.with a keyboard, instead of just X0X style step sequencing.
(which the emu also does.)

>> Wow. I hadn't seen that the Command Stations had fallen that low. Emu is
>considering i was able to crash one in 2 minutes _flat_ at the Guitar
Center a
>year or so ago, i'm not suprised. i would never trust it on a gig. no
matter
>how much money they paid RZA to endorse it :)

Bad luck, and an early O.S - I wouldn't be surprised if it was 1.0, which
they released a patch for 3 days after the box calm out.. I got one of the
first units, use it almost every day, and have crashed it twice so far.
Both
times, it was doing some heavy editing - not something I would do on stage.

> How would the RM1x be for a live looping sequencer driving some other
> equipment for the actual sounds? I want to build and tweak patterns on
>the

>i spent two hours with it at a music store trying to make a pattern. no
dice.
>anything that complicated is a hindrance to _making_music_. you have to
stop
>the sequencer to switch which track you're editing. that's totally
retarded.

It's easily got the steepest, >but< fastest learning curve of any of the
boxes. If you're going to check one out, make sure you flip through the
manual online for five minutes before you go in, or your going to be
completely baffled by the box.

bIz