Re: slightly ot: the quest for a groovebox

Quoting Mark Hamburg <mark_hamburg@baymoon.com>:
> Wow. I hadn't seen that the Command Stations had fallen that low. Emu is

considering i was able to crash one in 2 minutes _flat_ at the Guitar
Center a
year or so ago, i'm not suprised. i would never trust it on a gig. no
matter
how much money they paid RZA to endorse it :)

> How would the RM1x be for a live looping sequencer driving some other
> equipment for the actual sounds? I want to build and tweak patterns on
>the

i spent two hours with it at a music store trying to make a pattern. no
dice.
anything that complicated is a hindrance to _making_music_. you have to
stop
the sequencer to switch which track you're editing. that's totally
retarded.

a friend of mine had an rm1x for a day, sent it back and ordered an
electribe.
he still has the electribe and continues to use it even though he's
written a
kick-ass pattern/step sequencer for the macintosh. i think that speaks
volumes
about it.

another friend of mine spent 7 months trying to sell his for 300 bucks. he
eventually traded it at a music store for a Shure SM-57. he's happier with
that.

> For the Electribe fans, would anyone care to comment on how something
>like
> Electribe-M would be for this task?

i'll bet the new Electribe MX is gonna be great. my only beef with the
sequencer on the electribe is the whole you-gotta-be-in-4/4 thing. i
believe
that's been fixed with the new one. and it has TOOBS!

> P.S. For a sampler plus effects, you could buy Mark Sottilaro's Electrix

that Repeater is mighty tempting, however i plan on gettin me one of dem
DD-20
Giga Delays. how i'm going to kill the dry signal is beyond me though. i
might
have to cut a circuit trace.

if that doesn't work i'll give it to my Torn-obsessed guitar player. he
needs a
good clean delay to contrast the RDS-8000 i gave him.

then i'll buy another repeater. or a nord modular 2 if that thing can do
long
loops.

---
Eric Williamson