Re: electric sitars

At 10:54 PM -0800 3/4/03, Chris Richards wrote:
>That sounds like the Coral Electric Sitar... Finally, in the early
>90's, I believe, a guy in Nashville named Jerry Jones not only
>basically reproduced the original instrument, but also fixed most of
>the intonation problems. I believe he calls it something like the
>Baby Electric Sitar or something like that, and offers models with
>and without drone strings.

I have a Jerry Jones Master Sitar with the classic "gator" red
crackle finish. I keep it tuned to an open D. I used it on the Alias
Zone "Lucid Dreams" CD.

The buzz bridge is made of wood. Otherwise it is similar to the Coral
as Chris describes it. Jerry Jones also makes a Baby Sitar, which
lacks the sympathetic strings. A couple of years ago NAMM he showed a
version of the Master Sitar that had a head stock and regular guitar
tuners for the sympathetic strings, rather than the autoharp-style
tuners that require a key. I imagine this was a one-off, since it
hasn't appeared on his Web site.

For those unfamiliar, Jerry Jones filled the void left when
Danelectro ceased production by creating improved versions of many of
their models. Now that Dano is back he carries on in the same fashion.

http://www.jerryjonesguitars.com/Master%20sitar.htm

http://www.jerryjonesguitars.com/Baby%20sitar.htm

Also check out the "shorty" 12-string

http://www.jerryjonesguitars.com/Nshorty.htm