Re: electric sitars

<<Btw, the Sitar model now included in V2 (a
sample is also featured on the page above) is not
intended to be a model of an acoustic sitar,
iirc, but a model of an electric guitar that has
a special bridge which electronically provided a
sitar-like tone (I've seen this instrument played
before, specifically by Dean McGraw, but cannot
recall the name at the moment).>>

That sounds like the Coral Electric Sitar, which
was designed by studio guitarist Vinnie Bell, and
was built during the late 60's. It's been used by
a lot of people, like Steve Howe uses one a lot
(he uses it on Yessongs like To Be Over, Close To
The Edge, Ritual, and Siberian Khatru, as well on
his solo records), Steve Vai, Pat Metheny, and I
think I once saw a live clip of Genesis playing I
Know What I Like where you can see Steve Hackett
playing one (though Mike Rutherford is credited
with playing it on the studio version). It's been
used on a lot of songs over the years, a couple
that that stick out in my mind is Everytime You
Go Away by Paul Young (and if you remember the
video for that song, his guitarist is shown
playing a Coral Sitar in it), and Steely Dan's Do
It Again. And the intro to Metallica's Wherever I
May Roam also has a Coral Sitar on it.

George Harrison apparently was given one of the
very first ones (probably because he played a
huge role in it's creation, because he and Brian
Jones set off the "raga rock" thing in the mid
60's, which mandated that studio guitarists all
over NYC and LA had to either learn how to play
sitar, or else come up with a reasonable
facsimile, this being Vinnie Bell's version of
the latter), but it got hijacked by one of his
friends, by the time he got it back (something
like 18 months later) "everyone had one" so he
never actually got around to using it on
anything.

The main things that set the Coral Sitar apart
from regular guitars was the 13 drone strings
that were mounted above the regular guitar
strings, and the bridge, which was basically a
piece of hard rubber that gave the instrument
it's twangy buzz. There were always two problems
with the Coral Sitar:

1. Because of the way the bridge it set up, it's
nearly impossible to get the intonation right

2. They were only made for a couple years, ending
in like 69, so they were always hard to get ahold
of.

Finally, in the early 90's, I believe, a guy in
Nashville named Jerry Jones not only basically
reproduced the original instrument, but also
fixed most of the intonation problems. I believe
he calls it something like the Baby Electric
Sitar or something like that, and offers models
with and without drone strings.

=====
May you never thirst!
The Scuba Diver Presently Known As Chris

"What do you get when you give a yo-yo to a flock of flamingos?"-James
Earl Jones