Re: OT(minutemen)

--- Steve Lawson <steve@steve-lawson.co.uk> wrote:
> While I'm sure it's handy for the majors to
> be able to market Blink
> 182 etc. as 'punk', there's not really much that
> embodies the spirit of punk in the nu-punk scene...

Backstage at an awards show last summer, Dickie
Barrett (Mighty Mighty Bosstones) was conversing with
Gene Simmons (in full Kiss costume) about that very
topic when Simmons called Green Day 'a pop band'.
Barrett thought it would be funny to stir things up,
so he collared Billy-Joe whose last name escapes me
(guitarist/singer for Green Day who apparently thinks
Green Day is a punk band) and said "Ask Gene what kind
of a band Green Day is!"

Simmons repeated "Green Day is a *pop* band" which
inspired the much younger Green Day guy (and all the
shorter for not wearing 7" dragon-headed Kiss boots
like Simmons was) to attempt to engage Simmons in
fisticuffs.

Hmmmm.....

-t-