Re: Minimalist rigs, form factors, etc.

I had put together a minimal "porta" rig a while ago, but I keep taking
out the "big guns" mainly because of the synth I have in my big rack.
The new mini rig will go like this:

Guitar into

Digitech GNX2

Repeater with a Korg KAOSS pad II in it's effects loop

PA

This simple rig sets up in under 10 min in the dark.  The problem is
it's got no drum machine as part of it.  Once you add that, you then
need a mixer and midi cables.  This seems to almost double set up time.
  But wait, maybe a processor for the drum machine!  Surely I must have
that!  OK, add a Air FX to that.  Wait!  No MIDI guitar?  Surely I must
have some MIDI guitar?  Tack on a GR-30 to that... ooo, that sound
source is awful dry and uninteresting... maybe I'll sneak in a Korg
MS2000R to beef it up...

Oh no!  My "Mini" rig now takes longer to set up than my full rig!

So this has been my problem.  I always think of the scene in The Matrix
where they're in the "loading construct" and Neo says, "Guns.  Lot's of
GUNS."  I want LOTS OF GUNS when I play.  I have a certain sound I want
to create, and it's hard for me to not want to schlep my entire studio
out with me each time I play.  So much so that I'm kind of thinking I
may totally stop playing live for a while.  This is something I keep
wrestling with.  I don't get much money for playing live.  I have a
hard time monitoring what's going on, which makes improvisation hard.
It takes almost as much time in break down moving and set up as I
usually play, and it's all awkward and heavy to move.  Add on to that
the fact that I often feel tethered to my gear, so that after my part
(in a "festival type" of show) I feel like I've got to load up my car
and then go.

I guess this this is all coming from my last gig at Ascension 3 in SF.
(http://www.redbullascension.com/)  It was a great gig, but I always
feel like the shear effort of all of it just isn't worth it.  I get
more good feedback from posting stuff here.  I get more good jams going
here in my living room.

I think all of this would be different if I was part of a band and I
had other people totally responsible for their part of the deal.  Like
a bass player (the Stick player I was playing with got a boyfriend and
has not touched her instrument since)  and percussionist/DJ type.  If
there are any of you out there in the SF area, send me an email and
maybe we can get together.

Mark Sottilaro