RE: Expressive MIDI guitar (a looping source!)

The closest thing to what you want, that I'm aware of, would be a Roland VG
system.  The VG-8ex is thought by a number of folks to have the best
selection of synth type models, or at least, to get you the most synthy
kind
of tone from a guitar, while retaining all of the nuances of a guitar
(because the engine resynthesizes the harmonics of the guitar signal).
I've
heard this firsthand (Philip Lampe, Repeatpeak, et. al.) and I was _very_
impressed with the sounds obtainable.  I've even heard/seen Philip use an
acoustic sitar processed through a VG-8ex to transform/double his amplified
sitar signal with some really unique and pleasant tones.  You can use all
of
the guitar techniques you mention, afaik.

The VG-88 just got a V2 upgrade which adds some synth style wave
resynthesis
along the lines of the VG-8 (Roland apparently had reduced the abilites of
the original VG-88 in this regard in order to fit more/better guitar and
amp
models in; opinions vary on the guitar models, and some even adamantly
claim
that at least some of the pickup models are better on the VG-8, but many
folks seem to agree that the amp models are better on the VG-88).  I heard
someone's own samples of the new V2 resynthesis (an analog style tone) and
was very impressed.  The player was able to even use guitar harmonics and
do
things that you could not do with an analog synth, all the while
maintaining
the expressive techiques available on the guitar.  If I can find some
samples online, I'll post them.  Another big advantage of the harmonic
resynthesis approach is that there is no MIDI conversion latency (in fact
the VG processors do not perform guitar/MIDI conversion at all, it's all
voltage).

Having toyed with guitar synthesis myself for about 10+ years (started with
a Yamaha G-10, which I still have), I decided for myself that processing a
guitar to be 'synthlike' was a far more achievable and expressive option at
this point.  I have a VG-88 myself, and will be upgrading at some point
(probably when I get my GK guitar back from the shop).  If I were going to
look at a true MIDI converter for Guitar, it would be an Axon AX-100.  I
doubt I will do this now, however, as I have invested in a doubleneck Ztar
combining a ztar (which is currently driving a Microwave XT) and electric
guitar with GK hex pickup output (for my VG).

With respect to tracking, all of the testaments I've heard/read on the
Digital Guitar, Midi Guitar, and VG forums I've subscribed to, or browsed,
over the years seem to say that in-saddle piezo pickups are the way to go
for MIDI conversion or VG processing.  I'm still wondering if anyone's
going
to pursue MIDI/VG processing using optical pickups, but maybe they are and
I've just missed the press.

Hope this helps,

Mike