Re: OT: MIDI guitar (a looping source!)

I'm in the camp that most synthesis should sound synthetic.  I've toyed
with a few patches that mimic real instruments, and I always feel
disappointed.  When I hear other people doing it, I'm similarly
disappointed, even when they're John McLaughlin.

I remember a quote from Rick Walker where he says, "I love drum machines, I
just want them to sound like appliances."  I know what he means.

On the other hand, you can make some pretty weird sounds by doing a lot of
bending with a piano patch.  Imagine a piano with a whammy bar.  Now that
would take some muscle to operate.

Mark Sottilaro.