Re: Max/Msp

At 12:21 PM -0800 2/10/03, Alex Stahl wrote:
>I have been working on a Max/MSP implementation of my looping ideas
>for about seven years now. "Redefining the compositional language of
>looping" is a fair description of the motivation which keeps me
>dissatisfied with other tools.

I'd like to see/hear what you're doing. Perhaps next time I'm in the area?

>The issues of interface and feature set are not, at least for me,
>the hard part of using Max/MSP. Quite the opposite, the lack of
>constraint which the dedicated hardware development process imposes
>can encourage excessive dedication and refinement, sometimes at the
>expense of stability. That's a fancy way of saying it's hard to know
>when to stop building and start playing.

This has been my experience. I haven't delved into the MSP part, but
a few years ago I was using Max to control looping and other
processing equipment. I found that there were many alternative user
interfaces and I frequently built Max patches that were specific to a
given piece. I was careful to modularize my code so that it was easy
to combine functional elements and various ways. The good thing about
working in software is that the user interface could include just
those controls and displays that were needed for a given piece. Some
patches were quite specific in this way, while others were more
generalized performance control panels.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com