Real instruments vs. electronic instruments

In answer to Jim's question about a good sound engine for acoustic sounds,
I tried Tassman (a soft synth plugin) a while ago which had an acoustic
modelling engine and some very nice breathy flute sounds.
I'm probably in the same boat as many people on this list who would like
to use more natural sounding instruments  and/or loops but does n't have
the space or financial resources.
So with this constraint I'm left attempting to humanise electronic sounds
or take human sounds and warp them with electronic engines, and I do find
that if you vary enough parameters such as filter, resonance, velocity and
timing you can start to create loops which maintain a groove but different
on each repeat. I dont know if you can do this with an EDP, but this is
certainly possible with many of the modular software synths today.
It an obvious thing to say but to me what separates an electronic and real
instrument apart (other than an expressive interface) is the natural
degree of error with which a real instrument is played. Maybe if
manufacturers of hardware/sofware added more degrees of error into these
devices they would become more human.
Or perhaps use human playing to control the profile of an electronic sound
(kind of like the opposite of taking an acoustic drum loop and looping it
electronically).
But surely, at the end of the day, the source does not matter..
The end result always decides if we are move emotionally or not, and the
sound of crashing waves or the sound of a jet taking off come from
different ends of the spectrum, and move us in different waves and both
have some kind of value.
having said all that, give me John Bonham over an 808 any day (oh shit I
nearly mentioned Led Zep) - better unsubscribe...
OJ