Re: Boss DD-20: anyone tried it yet?

At 12:32 PM 2/7/2003, Eric Williamson wrote:
>i'm salivating over this pedal. has anyone got their mitts on one yet?

I got the full demo at NAMM, and talked with the demo guy a bit. They
didn't have one available to play with. My take on it was, "If you're are
too poor to afford a Line-6 DL-4, this pedal is for YOU!"

In fact, that's not just my take, that's pretty much how I heard a sales
rep explaining it to a dealer.

otherwise, I don't see much to get excited about.

The sound on sound (aka looper) function lets you tap a loop. You can
overdub on it. Can you control the feedback of it? No. Reverse? No.
Half-Speed? No. Turn the delay time knob and change pitch? No. Change
time/tempo without pitch? No. Insert-your-question-here? No. It doesn't do
anything else in that mode. Just record loop and overdub. That's it. 23
seconds.

As for the delay aspects, there are a few delay models. Analog delay, tape
delay, etc. Not as many as the DL-4. Impossible to hear how good these
models were over the din of some guy showing off a distortion pedal on the
other side of the room with what sounded a lot like Toto songs. However,
I'll bet the delay models are at least worth $100. Does it do that cool
analog delay pitch change thing when you change the delay time during the
delay mode? No. It makes some sort of glitchy farting digital noise. No
doubt somebody will say they love things like that, but you will never
hear
them make any actual music with it. It won't replace your treasured EH-16.
There is some sort of gimmicky delay effect that I don't exactly remember
what it did, called "warp" or "hyperspace" or something. I think it just
changed the repeat rate exponentially faster. (or maybe it did something
else, I was bored by then.) It offers three or four presets too.

The best part of the demo was when the demo guy played "The Entertainer"
as
a two-handed tap solo on his guitar. I haven't seen anything like that
since the late 80's! Retro Michael Angelo cool! Oh, but he didn't use the
DD-20 at all for that. It's amazing what talent gets wasted in the Roland
booth. YMMV.

kim