Re: "hold" note uninterrupted (original poster)

--- Sorceror777@aol.com wrote:
> thanks for all the responses so far!
> Anyway, to clarify something, I want a unit that has a pure "infinite"
> sustain/feedback function. The suggestions given involving loopers dont
>work,
> because this is for realtime (live playing, so software doesnt work
>either)
> application, and i dont have the time to create a bed of layers
>resulting in
> a final sustaining pedal point drone. I just want to play a note, STEP
>on a
> button, without having to hold it down, and have that note/chord drone.
>The
> cyclic nature of the guitar string doesnt bug me, its doesnt have to be
> uniform sine wave drone (line a telephone dial tone), I just dont want
> hear the loop-like/digital delay  'repeat' of the note/chord.

I don't see why most looping devices wouldn't be able to give you this
(barring
restrictions like the minimum loop time the RC20 imposes). It'd just
require some
technique on your part to press the buttons at the right time. I'd think a
procedure like this would work:

- Set your looper for 100% feedback
- Play your note
- After the initial attack is over, press record
- Press Play (or whatever stops record and initiates loop play) before the
note
fades

You end up with a small loop with your note in it. Now, it may not be
perfectly
seemless in terms of volume, etc, but it'll be that note.

You could also do it with an older delay that had a "hold" feature. Set
the delay
time to the duration of the note you want to loop, play the note and press
hold.
It'd probably be hit or miss whether you got the note's attack in there.
You
could improve your odds by fading it in with a volume pedal or using an
ebow.

Greg