This is your brain... this is your brain on a looping tour

O list,

Though I'm still catching up on sleep and generally recovering from one
and a half weeks of utter loop immersion, I want to drop a quick note to
thank everyone here involved, in whatever capacity, with the January
tour of California.  It was a resounding success musically, personally,
and economically, and I almost wish it was still happening.  (Then I
remember sleeping for 24 of the first 32 hours I was back home, and I
almost come to my senses).

It's hard to remember details when there are so many fragments floating
about - the trio finding its footing at Rocco's, before turning into a
freaky-funk '70s Miles Davis tribute band with the inclusion of Michael
Manring...

the trio spontaneously assuming the role of a highly effective drum and
bass band at the request of one of the audience members at Z Pie in San
Luis Obispo...

the tribal glitch-o-rama groove-fest of the two-drummers/two-guitarists
band in Palo Alto...

a mournful and somber trio set at the San Jose Museum of Art that
practically had me in tears (in a good way!)...

some all-too-timely words on world affairs from Rick Walker on stage at
the Cayuga Vault in Santa Cruz, before an almost violently intense and
confrontational trio set of what I'd venture to call "protest music" -
it felt like a real-time Squarepusher remix of Miles' "On The Corner,"
had me hollering at the top of my lungs at one point, and left the
entire band scratching its head in disbelief at what we'd just played...

and a strangely fractured and schizophrenic final show in Ben Lomond,
augmented by both Manring and Bill Walker, which almost seemed to filter
the whole tour into a stark and scattered coda of the entire previous
two weeks...

In any event, I have very little clear memory of most of what we played
on that tour, but I'm profoundly grateful to everyone who attended a
gig, helped to organize a show, and granted me some space on stage with
them.  Huge thanks to Rick Walker, Steve Lawson, Jon Wagner, Cara Quinn,
Bill Walker, Hans Lindauer, Kim Flint, Rik Elswit, Dan Elliot, and
everyone else on and off-list who played such an integral part in the
whole damn thing.

Thanks also to Daryl for his Palo Alto review - if anyone else who was
at a gig feels the inclination to drop a review, I'd be very interested
to know what it was like on the other side of the stage.  In the
meantime, I'll echo the sentiment that screaming duets were a definite
high point of the tour for me as well...

Hooray for gigantic unseen forces,

--Andre LaFosse
The Echoplex Analysis Pages:
http://www.altruistmusic.com/EDP