Re: Real instruments vs. electronic instruments

<i>
>I find that very expressive music can be made with relatively few
>parameters.  Clavier instruments are very good examples of this. One is
>talking through mechanical or electrical proxies to the sound production
>means. Simple parameters can interact in complex and sometimes unexpected
>ways.

sure, melodies and rhythms are expresive and dont depend on sound, but
when
we talk about the expression of instruments here, its probably mosty
through
the sound.

>I think the very important (and often missed) part is to remember that
>the
>interface is BIDIRECTIONAL.  It's important to be aware of your
>instrument's reactions.  That's why, even though your piano is reacting
>some pedal states and hammer rates (the rebound of which is controlled by
>the mechanism) -- you can HEAR when someone is playing with the weight of
>their arms or the muscles of their fingers (like a harsichord player on a
>piano).

yes, thats the kind of expression I was thinking of: The sound reminds of
movement which reminds of a feeling.

</i>
Excellent observations

I find the link between "musical dynamics" (melodic motion, harmonic
tension, rhythmic propulsion) and "sonic motion" (changes in timbre,
volume,
etc) really fascinating.
how one can sort of (but not completely) translate between the 2.

Good examples of this might be how ornatments are used in, say,
harpsichord
to add emphasis.  Since the harpsichord does not have much dynamic control
at all, the motion of the ornament provides a "sense" of motion/ tension
(even thought it doesn't have much if any melodic/harmonic/rhythmic
function)OR on the other end of the spectrum...one can vary a drone in
sonic
ways (timbre/volume, etc) to modulate "intensity".
Ever listen to changes in the timbre of a drone and hear an implied melody?