Refining performances (previously, RE: Real instruments...)

Well said.

Of course, things are going to happen with gadgets, and it takes time to
troubleshoot.  Let's see... I've kicked the power out of the wall
socket, dropped my guitar, forgot to erase a loop before I started a new
one, created thunderous shockwaves via shorts in my cables... all in
front of hundreds of people.

Some people believe that such "extemporaneous" errors, whether they be
technical or musical, are part of the experience.  But I believe what
separates the amateurs from the professionals is this: The professionals
minimize the distractions, and highlight the best of what they do.

One of the ways I've tried to minimize the distractions in performance
is not to do musical works that I am not comfortable with yet.  I find
that if I practice at 100% competency, then I'll perform new pieces at
80% of what they could be just because I'm hyped up and physically
stressed.  It's a way to 'pre-select' pieces for the 'best' of what I
do.

Patrick sends....