[looper's] OT- cobain/fripp

Title: [looper's] OT- cobain/fripp

> Music nerd question: What is the Kurt Cobain connection with "Red"?

he happened to have been listening to it alot before he died, and was planning
on taking Nirvana in that direction.

i'm not really aware of more than that.<<

I just finished the charles cross cobain biog, and was consciously looking for the somewhat anecdotal info re "red" being amongst kur(d)t's favourite albums; no sign. what did emerge though was a disturbing portrait of a fairly fucked-up young man with all of the traditional traits of the suffering artist; substance abuse and romanticising episodes from his own past amongst them, and a certain fickleness in his dealings with other artists. it's a good read, even if you don't rate nirvana as highly as whomever wrote the copy for the latest "greatest hits" commercials, but suffers greatly (in my view) from there being no first-hand contributions from mr grohl.

"red" is a great album, but has to compete for my attention with "exposure" (still my favourite fripp work) and "LOG" in it's original (ie the vinyl version) form. loopers should take note that electronic storage is only one way of achieving repetition with subtle variations. playing the same thing over and over again can be just as effective and is as important a part of fripp's contribution to our artform as the two revoxes. sort of a human sequencer. ostinato, is it called?

d/r.m.i.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender
by replying to this message.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe