Re: sound art vs. music/cage

  Daryl said, in regard to Cage, It was a way of allowing the universe to
create the music with as little guidance
from him as possible.

  I think this is very interesting, since to me, the universe is already
doing this constantly.  -within us, without us, and around us, all the
time...   -All we need to do is be open and enjoy it...   <smile>   -it's
certainly an amazing performance!   lol!

Smiles,

Cara

>I've just been reading a biography of Cage, "the roaring silence".  It's a
>fascinating read, and very enlightening.  Cage's experiments and concepts
grow out
>of very deep-seated spiritual/philosophical beliefs, particularly Zen
Buddhism.
>In essence, what he was trying to do was create art with no ego involved -
even to
>the extent of trying to avoid the influence of his likes, dislikes and
emotions on
>the music.  He felt that the silent piece (4" 33') did this possibly the
best.
>His other techniques of chance composition, choosing notes by the I
>Ching, by
>coffee stains or scattered pellets on a piece of paper, etc., had the same
goal.
>It was a way of allowing the universe to create the music with as little
guidance
>from him as possible.  This could be seen as similiar to the use of Tarot
cards,
>or the I Ching, where the vagaries of chance can be seen as specific
guidance or
>advice when interpreted by a knowledgable individual.
>
>I admire him greatly, though I own very little of his music.  He was
certainly an
>artist working with the medium of sound, as well as paint, dance,
printing, etc.

>Daryl Shawn
>highhorse@mhorse.com
>

>> i've had an interesting debate w/ a musician friend about cage.
>> a lot of his stuff i think is more "conceptual art"--

---

-Then, anything is possible..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~thefates

Please visit BadFiction and The Guitar Cafe.