Re: EDP Brothersync...?

>  > I know a stereo 1/4" cable is the norm for BrotherSync, but what's the
>>   best way to go about getting more than two EDP's sync'd up?  I assume
>>   some sort of splitter would be the way to get more than two in sync at
>>   the same time...?
>
>well I've made a little box which I think
>should maybe be called a
>BROTHER HUB

nice!

>just a metal box with 4 (or more!)
>stereo jack sockets, all of them
>paralleled
>( that means all tips together, all rings together and
>all earths together)
>
>I made this in anticipation of the recent Norwich UK loopfest,
>but there just wasn't a chance to try it out.
>
>Just basic DIY and soldering.
>
>I hear that there are difficulties when more than 2 EDPs
>are brothered however, as when 2 or more EDPs are running they
>all send the sync pulse. The 3rd EDP can get confused by the
>double sync pulse, because even with the first 2 EDPs synced up
>there's 2 pulses per cycle.

If two units are together, they send the pulse at the same times, so
it looks as one and its easy for the third unit to sync in.
The dificulty is when two brothers already run with diferent timing
and the third tries to find the time of one or the other, because he
may catch the pulse of one unit as start and a pulse of the other
unit as stop and such be off again. So in this situation you have to
be carefull when you press RECORD to get the timing you want.

ReAlign works when Sync=Out (not OuS!), which I find quite important.
It allowes you to get off your brothers by doing Inverse, Retrigger,
HalfSpeed or whatever moves the loop start point, and when you want
to join them in rhythm again, just press MUTE-MULTIPLY.
Again, if your two brothers are off each other, you have to press
MULTIPLY just before the startpoint of the brother you want to join
in with.

>so....
>hey Matthias
>would it be possible to modify the "brother hub" with a couple
>of diodes so that one EDP could always be master?
>(so that any "slave" EDPs only get the cycle end from one "master" EDP)

interesting idea... instead of calling them "master" and "slave", we
could have a "leader" selector switch and as you say, it should be
possible just with diodes at the ring.

I just tried it with the two units on my bench and it worked.

So at each jack you have a diode pointing from the ring to the bus
and the leader selector shorts the diode on the jack you select.
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org