Re: looking for simple live looper not based on tempo....

--- Evan Meyers <evanmeyers@yahoo.com> wrote:
> true, but hitting and holding down a 'hold' button
> is virtually the same action as pressing a start and
> a stop.

Nah, there's a subtle difference between the two. What
Dylan's talking about with the old-school DDL-based
looping (like with the DM-2000, the Digitech Time
Machines, Korg SDD-1000, etc.) is that when the unit
is doing its thing and you step on the 'hold' switch,
it will repeat the *last* cycle that hit it, the loop
length being dependent on whatever the delay setting
was. As long as the delay is happening, the loop is
automatically already open, and you're just
determining the *close* point. With this sort of
looping, you cannot overdub onto the loop. And you
don't have to hold the button down; a regular ol'
momentary-contact switch will trigger it with one tap
(unless you're using something like a DD-3...).

The other devices he's looked at (Boomerang, RC-20) as
well as the Headrush and DL4 require the player to
determine *both* ends of the loop. (With the exception
of a loop exceeding 14 seconds on the DL4, which does
go into overdub at that point.)

While most of Anastasio's looping was done with a pair
of Boomerangs, he did indeed use a DM-2000 as well.

(Excerpt from GP interview with Trey Anastasio 9/94:
"I also have an Ibanez DM-2000, one of the first
digital delays they ever made. It's got this bug in
it. If you have the flange going and you hit the
infinite hold button, it totally freaks out. It makes
all these awful sounds. That's all I use it for.")

-t-