Re: Adrian Belew/intrusive technology

No, in this case my objection comes from the fact that
with the SynthAxe, the dynamic subtlety and expressive
nuances that can be readily heard when Holdsworth
plays non-synth guitar just didn't seem to be able to
make it through. I don't think at all that it's
because he's not *good* at playing the SynthAxe, or
that if he practiced more he'd learn it better; his
*fingers* are doing just fine, but the instrument
itself has severe inherent limitations. Your
"different instrument" analogy might better apply to a
pianist playing an '80's Casio organ/string synth and
trying to express dynamics by hitting the keys harder.

Obviously, at the time, Holdsworth was enthusiastic
about using the new sounds the SynthAxe gave him and
hopeful about the instrument's potential or he
wouldn't have been doing it. I just think it made a
great player sound cheesy.

-t-